Media studies 2.0 means that audiences have become more active users and now instead of just having media created for them they are creating it themselves the audience is no longer passive but now active. In media 1.0 the 7 main points are:
· We only look at popular works that have been well publicised
· We tend to only talk about people who have appeared on major media industries who were observed by well- known critics
· We also only look at ‘experts’ who have published a lot of work
· We believe that students should be taught to read the media in a critical manner
· We tend to only look at big western media companies and their form of media but we don’t look at alternatives of other media companies
· We only talk about internet and digital media as an add on to other form of media and not as a separate media form
· We tend to see the audience as inexperienced at reading media while we believe anyone in a media production team to be the experts.
Problems we face in a post broadcast world
The first problem would be volume we needed to find a way of relaying the mass information this is because the audience want so much information that only a massive storage of information would do which is what the internet does.
The second problem is dispersal this is a problem because when using broadcasting only well-known and well publicised programmes where put on. But now in internet people can use programmes that are not well known or a niche market. Businesses use this in the long tail theory to raise interest in unknown media items.
The third problem I have found is access in broadcast media everything was publicly accessible to everyone but with internet and digital media it is not some websites need passwords or need to belong to a specific group to access them.
The fourth problem is discovery on broadcast media it was easy to find the information we wanted to study but in digital media it takes longer to find things we would like to study as we would need to put in keywords that we may not know about.
The fifth problem is content this is a problem because on broadcast media content was created on what the audience found as interesting or was a big topic at the time or well liked but on digital media content can be made for everyone but it is often done with limited information not all content will provide all the information the audience would like where in broadcast media they would give all the information needed to understand the topic or to further people’s thinking.